Being a mechanic who handles different car makes and models, I needed an OBDII scanner of my own which I could use for my side hustle at home. After comparing different Innova scan tools, prices, and features, I decided to land on the Innova 3040e diagnostic code reader. It has a few extra features(Domestic ABS Codes, EVAP Codes, Oil Light Reset, Live Data Graphing) than the Innova 3030h scanner. Read this Innova 3040e review to know more about this diagnostic scanner.
This was the perfect scan tool for me as I only handle the basic maintenance work that doesn’t need a high-end scanner.
Related: Similar pricing – Innova 3100 Review [Latest Version of Innova 3100j]
At such a great price with outstanding features, I can attest that the Innova 3040e is a nice scanner for DIYers, beginner mechanics, and small car shop owners like me.
Technical Specifications of the Innova 3040e diagnostic scan tool:
Innova 3040e OBD2 Tool
|Read and erase Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) codes:||Yes|
|Check Engine Light:||Yes|
|Live Data Graphing:||Yes|
|Oil Light Reset:||Yes|
|Update Option:||Always Free updates|
|Item Weight:||1.1 pounds|
|Product Dimensions:||10.6 x 7.5 x 1.8 inches|
|Price:||Check Today’s Price|
The 3040e scanner features a patented all-in-one screen that displays all the car diagnosing or scanning results. It is easy to connect by simply downloading the Innova app. It can as well be updated to handle the latest vehicles or bug fixes. Additionally, the scanner covers most 1996 and newer OBD II compliant vehicles – domestic, European, and Asian light trucks, SUVs, cars, or hybrid.
- 1 Technical Specifications of the Innova 3040e diagnostic scan tool:
- 2 Code Reader Innova 3040e Review in 2022
- 3 Summary: Why buy the Innova 3040e code reader?
- 4 How to access or update software in RepairSolutions®?
- 5 Innova 3040e vs. Innova 3100 Scanners
- 6 FAQs
How to Use the Innova 3040e Scan Tool?
- Check the engine oil and other fluids to see if they are at the correct level. Clean the air filter, battery terminals, and spark plugs if they are clogged.
- Now check if the OBD2 is compatible with your vehicle model. Then turn off the ignition and find the 16-Data Link Connector (DLC), which may be located around the dashboard.
- Now insert the OBD2 cable into the vehicle’s DLC firmly. Turn on the ignition without starting the engine. The device will automatically turn on.
- Start the diagnosing process and decode the trouble codes via the manual book.
Code Reader Innova 3040e Review in 2022
This is an amazing automotive diagnostic scanner that will allow you to do more for less than the initial cost.
- Wide functions
- Compact design
- Extensive coverage
The Innova 3040e scan tool provides the user with lots of functions. The scan tool can read and erase warning lights, view live data in real-time, reset oil service light, perform battery or alternator test, read and erase ABS light, check emissions readiness status, view freeze frame data.
Related: For more advanced Functionalities – Innova 3160g Reviews [Innova 3160 Scan Tool Latest Version]
Extensive vehicle coverage
If you are a car owner or a DIY enthusiast, this code reader will greatly help you. It is able to cover a wide range of vehicles, such as Ford, Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Chrysler, and Lexus. It functions on all OBD2-compliant vehicles manufactured from 1996 and newer. This includes both domestic and foreign vehicles.
You don’t have to worry about using this device in the latest car makes and models. This is because it can be updated over the internet. Just connect the device to a PC and update it via the internet. This will ensure that your device is up-to-date with the most current technology and information.
Large LCD color screen
The Innova 3040e scan tool has a large LCD color screen that lets you read and erase error codes in poorly lit and well-lit areas. In addition, it has clearly labeled hotkeys that even starters will have an easy time using.
When it comes to its initial cost, this is a very affordable scan tool. It may be an entry-level scanner, but it comes with more features when compared to its competitors. It is also compact and very easy to use or store.
Customer support and repair solutions
If you have any issues with this gadget, just contact customer support at Innova, and you will get the much-needed help. The support is made available in English and Spanish languages. Apart from that, it comes with a repair solutions app that provides the user with quick, verified fixes, step-by-step videos, and repair costs.
Summary: Why buy the Innova 3040e code reader?
- Large display screen
- Compact and lightweight gadget
- Broad vehicle coverage of 1996 and newer OBD2 compatible vehicles
- Free internet updates
- Intuitive user interface
- Wider functions and features
- The device is not compatible with all the vehicles it says it is. Therefore, contact the manufacturer before buying this scan tool.
- Many users have complained about poor customer service. Most of the users say that the support team is not very helpful in finding solutions for them.
How to access or update software in RepairSolutions®?
For access or update, you need a computer with the configuration below.
For the Windows operating system:
- Free space: 50 MB
- RAM: 128 MB
- USB port: 2.0
For the Mac operating system:
- Free space: 100 MB
- RAM: 256 MB
- USB port
- Minimum processor speed: 700 MHz
Now you need an internet connection and a browser.
- Connect the OBD2 device with the vehicle’s DLC and retrieve all the diagnostic data.
- Download the latest PC-Link software from www.innova.com and install it on the computer. Just click on the Support tab and select Manual and Software.
- Connect the scanner to the computer using the USB cable. Login or create a new account with an email and finish further proceedings.
Innova 3040e vs. Innova 3100 Scanners
|Features||Innova 3040e||Innova 3100|
|Dimensions:||10.6 x 7.5 x 1.8 inches||12 x 8.5 x 2.5 inches|
|Weight:||1.1 Pounds||1 Pound|
|Operating System:||Windows||Windows XP|
|Display Size:||3.4 Inches||3.7 Inches|
OBD II Cable Included:
|Reads ABS Codes:||Yes||No|
The Innova 3040e scanner is a simple and affordable scanner for DIYers, car owners, and enthusiasts. It is able to perform most of the basic code reader functions, and it is very reliable. The scan tool can be updated and comes with free lifetime software updates. This is a fun and easy-to-use scanner with a large LCD color screen and clearly labeled buttons. I hope this Innova 3040e review will help you a lot.
Question: Does the Innova 3040e work on OBD1 vehicles?
Answer: No, it doesn’t. The Innova 3040e scan tool is only compatible with OBD 2-compliant vehicles manufactured from 1996 and newer. If the car is OBD 1 compliant, then it won’t be compatible with this device. This includes domestic, European, and Asian light trucks, cars, hybrid, or SUVs. If you want an OBD I code reader, you should look elsewhere.
Question: Does this scanner feature Bluetooth and Wi-Fi?
Answer: No, it doesn’t. If you want an Innova scanner with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connectivity, you must acquire a more advanced scanner. For instance, the Innova 3160 scan tool or even the Innova 3140g scanner. Note that you will have to pay more to get high-quality diagnostic code readers.
Hi, I am Henry, the owner of this website. If you are a DIY car enthusiast like me and are looking for an all-purpose OBD2 scanner, you’ve come to the right place. With 5+ years of experience in the automobile industry, I have in-depth knowledge about most of the OBD2 scanners regarding their software versions, firmware, features, updates, and compatibility. I love reviewing these gadgets after using and testing them personally. As a result, I always try to provide my honest opinion on the overall product quality.