After using different scan tools and talking to different mechanics, I finally decided to create this Innova 3100 review. This model has two version: Innova 3100 and Innova 3100j. I am going to discuss about these two mode. These are the best Innova scanners that you can buy at an affordable price. Innova is a leading brand in the automotive diagnostic field and offers some of the best innovative scanners.
Instead of spending money and time visiting a mechanic or car repair shop, you can get yourself a quality diagnostic scanner. A scan tool is a great investment as it helps you save time, money, and at the same time, it lets you know what’s causing the check engine light to come on.
To cut the long story short, after testing different Innova scan tools, I decided to review the Innova 3100 and Innova 100j scan tools. These scan tools are ideal for motorists who are looking for a simple but versatile scanner that can read and erase check engine light and perform some extra functions at a favorable price.
Technical Features of the Latest Version Innova 3100
Innova 3100j (Upgrade Version)
|Works:||All 1996 and newer vehicles|
|Oil Light Reset:||Yes|
|Views freeze frame data:||Yes|
|Check Engine Light:||Yes|
|Software Update Option:||Free online updates|
|Warranty:||One-year limited warranty|
Innova 3100 diagnostic scan tool
The Innova 3100 diagnostic scanner features ABS and battery backup for OBD2 vehicles. It is very easy to use and for reading codes, as it is compact and has a large screen display with LED. The multilingual menu allows users to change the device to a language they understand best and the hotkeys are clear. So, whether you’re a pro or beginner, using this tool will be easy. In addition, the scan tool automatically refreshes data every 30 seconds when linked to the vehicle, thus making it easy to verify repair completion.
More features and functions of this code reader have been discussed below.
- It has a well built large screen display with the capacity for live data display, drive cycle monitoring and readiness checks. The display as well comes with a graphic data presentation functionality which assists in the process of analysis of the codes. Moreover, it has LED which helps in the reading of results in dark surroundings.
- It features a multilingual menu which enables for the data to be relayed in the language of the technician. This can be in English, Spanish or French. This eliminates the ambiguity which arises from translations, thus speeding up diagnosing.
- It covers a wide range of vehicles (OBD1 &OBD2). This code reader has the ability to read and erase error codes on any 1996 and newer car, light truck, or SUV. Some of these car brands include GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Mercedes, etc. Apart from that, it can retrieve both manufacturer-specific and generic codes.
- The scanner comes with an automatically refreshable system which refreshes after every 30 seconds when linked to the vehicle. This is a sure way of making sure that the scan process is complete.
- The device can be updated by using a flash or any PC enabled accessory. This makes it be suitable for new vehicle models by simply updating the device or upgrading the software.
- User-friendly design
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Multilingual menu
- It is very efficient and reliable with its battery power backup
- Extensive vehicle coverage
- Not compatible with all vehicle models
- Many users have complained that the scanner doesn’t come with a user manual which makes using it to be challenging.
Innova 3100J code reader
Despite being sold at an affordable price, the Innova 3100J offers its users with premium features. It is a high-quality scanner that is compatible with all 1996 and newer cars, light trucks, minivans, SUVs, and hybrid vehicles. This includes both domestic and foreign vehicles.
So, if you’re a DIYer looking for a high-quality entry-level scanner, then the Innova 3100J scan tool is the ideal tool for you. It is very easy to use with its large screen with LED. All the data and error codes are displayed here. Simply switch the device to a language of your preference and starting reading and erasing error codes, read ABS/SRS codes, emissions readiness, oil light reset, and battery or alternator test.
If you have the latest car models, you can still use this gadget by updating the device via your PC. At 1.2 pounds and measurements of 10 by 8 by 1.5 inches, this is a compact and lightweight device to have with you. On top of that, the manufacturer provides the user with a one-year warranty.
- It has an oil reset function. Resetting is easy because instructions are provided.
- It quickly reveals why the check engine light is on. The error code is displayed on the screen for at least 30 seconds when the device is connected to your vehicle.
- When the malfunction light is on, the scan tool will automatically show the status of the fuel supply, temperature, fuel trim, coolant, etc.
- The code reader covers all 1996 and newer light trucks, cars, SUVs, and hybrid vehicles – both domestic and foreign vehicles.
- A unique feature of this scanner is the battery and alternator tests that check the performance of a vehicle’s charging system.
- The free updates offered by the manufacturer allow the device to have the latest technology and be a durable and lasting scanner.
- RepairSolutions feature takes out the guesswork by helping you access verified fixes, repair costs, step-by-step videos and much more. Also, you can get in touch with customer support if you’ve any problem.
- Comes with easy to use hotkeys
- Large display screen with LED for easy reading of error codes
- Has a multilingual menu for easy understanding by different users
- Extensive vehicle coverage
- Compact and sleek design
- It is internet updateable
- 1-year warranty
- The website repair solutions have to be purchased and its challenging to use
- Check for compatibility before buying as it is not compatible with some vehicles, especially those made outside the US.
Differences between the Innova 3100 vs the Innova 3100J
The Innova 3100 diagnostic scanner is the first scanner in this series and the 3100J is an improved version. They feature two different designs with the Innova 3100 being more compact than the Innova 3100J. But the Innova 3100J automotive scanner has a larger display screen than the Innova 3100 code reader.
Innova Electronics Corporation has positioned itself as one of the leading scan tool brands on the market. This is evident through its various diagnostic code readers on the market. The Innova 3100 and Innova 3100J are some of the best entry-level diagnostic scanners on the market. They are both sold at a favorable price and offer amazing features.
Question: Does Innova OBD2 scan tools work on hybrid cars?
Answer: Yes, they do. But you should get in touch with the manufacturer to know what series works with hybrid vehicles and which ones don’t.
Question: Can I use my OBD2 scanner while driving?
Answer: Even though you can insert the code reader in the carport and read or erase error codes as you drive, this can be dangerous as it can lead to an accident. Instead, you can place the OBD2 into the port and allow it to scan and save the data. Most OBD2 scanners save the data which you can look at later when it is safe to do so.