One of the most annoying things for car owners is the “check engine light” popping up. There is no motorist who doesn’t feel pissed off when they see this indicator light on. Not only does this light show that your car is running into problems, but the bottom line is that you don’t even know what the problem is.
In order to know the problem, an OBD2 scanner is needed to indicate what the problem is. Instead of wasting time and money by taking your car to a mechanic, you can acquire one of the reliable automotive diagnostic scan tools on the market and diagnose the issue by yourself. But, what is the best obd2 scanner for the money?
- 1 Top Rated 10 Best obd2 Scanner Comparison Chart
- 2 Our Recommend Best OBD2 Scanner 2019
- 2.1 Innova 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool
- 2.2 Autel AL619 OBD2 Scanner
- 2.3 BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBD2 Scan Tool
- 2.4 Foxwell NT630 Elite OBD2 Scanner
- 2.5 Innova 3100 Diagnostic Tool
- 2.6 Autel Maxicom MK808 OBD2 Scanner
- 2.7 FOXWELL NT301 OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Code Reader
- 2.8 Actron CP9690 Trilingual OBDI/OBDII Elite Autoscanner
- 2.9 Autel Maxidas DS808 Automotive Diagnostic Tool
- 2.10 Launch X431 V+ Diagnostic OBD2 scanner
- 2.11 OBDLINK MX Bluetooth Professional Grade OBDII Scan Tool
- 2.12 BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader
- 3 FAQ
- 4 1.BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iOS& Android
- 5 2.INNOVA 3160e OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data
- 6 3.Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus
- 7 4.OBDLink MX Bluetooth
- 8 5.Autel DS708 (MaxiDas Automotive Diagnostic and Analysis System)
Top Rated 10 Best obd2 Scanner Comparison Chart
In this obd2 scanner review, we’ve listed some of the best OBD2 code readers on the market. We tested each and every OBD2 diagnostic scanner on the list. They are sturdily constructed, compact, affordable, and compatible with most car makes and models.
Our Recommend Best OBD2 Scanner 2019
Here are our best 12 diagnostic scan tools on the market:
Innova 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool
The Innova 3160 diagnostic scanner is suitable for beginners or professionals who want to upgrade from a basic scanner to an advanced scan tool. Unlike many of the professional grade scanners on the market, the Innova 3160 scan tool is easy to use and compact in design. It features an intuitive user interface with easy to use buttons. The LCD screen displays information clearly and it can be used in dim areas as it has LED.
The multilingual menu allows the user to choose between French, English, and Spanish. The device is updateable by connecting it to a PC through the USB cable. Some of its functions include reading and erasing SRS light, ABS light, and check engine light. In addition, it has the ability to graph, read, and record live data from your car engine. The memory or battery backup helps you detect the problem even with the car switched off. This scan tool can be used on any 1996 or newer light truck, SUVs, and cars both foreign and domestic.
- Compatible with 1996 and newer cars, SUVs, and light trucks
- Diagnoses ABS codes and retrieves OEM enhanced and transmission DTCs
- Easy to read results with the patented all in one screen display with LED
- Provided improved live data
- Compatible with all OBD2 protocols
- Offers SAE enhanced live data
- Displays freeze frame data
- Multilingual menu
- Reads and erases ABS light
- It is not compatible with all car models, especially European vehicles.
- Some clients have complained that it doesn’t update to the latest software, more so if your car model was manufactured from 2015 an above.
Autel AL619 OBD2 Scanner
Those that are tight on the budget but still want a quality diagnostic code reader for diagnosing different car make and types, then the Autel AL619 will come to your rescue. As simple as this gadget looks, it has the ability to diagnose most 1996 and newer major vehicle models such as Chrysler, BMW, Honda, GM, Volvo, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, VW, etc. Moreover, it is compact and design and easy to use and carry. It features a large display screen for easy reading of definitions and the buttons are intuitive. It is the best obd2 scanner for BMW and Honda.
The AL619 has the ability to retrieve generic, pending, and manufacturer specific codes. It can also turn off warning light ad malfunction indicator light. Utilize it to clear codes, reset monitors, graph live data display, and playback live PCM data stream. On top of that, you can switch the device’s language to Russian, English, Polish, French, Korean, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, German, Dutch or Portuguese. When it comes to updating the Autel Al619 code reader, you don’t have to worry as it comes with lifetime free update.
- Wide vehicle coverage
- Multilingual menu
- Retrieves generic, manufacturer-specific, and pending codes
- Compact and lightweight gadget
- Large display screen for easy reading of code definitions
- Shows monitor and I/M readiness status
- Lifetime free updates
- Turns off MIL and ABS/SRS warning lights
- Reads, stores, and playbacks live PCM data
- Updating the software is a challenge
- Not compatible with most GM cars made from 2013 and beyond
BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBD2 Scan Tool
The Bluedriver Bluetooth professional OBD2 diagnostic scan tool is the best wireless scanner on the market. Not only does it come with outstanding features, but it also helps you have an easy time diagnosing your car by simply installing the app on your smartphone. The BlueDriver Bluetooth OBD 2 scan tool is officially licensed and certified for Android and Apple gadgets. This means you can use it in any place as long as you’ve your smartphone with you. BlueDriver one of the best obd2 scanner Iphone or Android.
Even though this device is built for professional use, it is suitable for individuals. This is because it doesn’t record as many car metrics as other professional-grade scan tools do. To use this device, simply install it, connect with Bluetooth, and visit the app. You can save, export and share reports with other colleagues or your mechanic. As it performs different readings, from Airbags to ABS, and more, it transfers these directly to your smartphone. With such amazing features, it is easy to understand why this diagnostic scanner is considered to be the best in code readers and scan tools.
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- Covers a wide range of vehicles
- Compact and portable
- Free app updates
- Read and clear enhanced codes
- Interactive graphing of live data
- Emission I/M readiness status
- It records a limited number of car metrics
- Not compatible with many vehicles
Foxwell NT630 Elite OBD2 Scanner
Foxwell is one of the top OBD2 brands. The brand offers high-quality, accurate and affordable scan tools. The Foxwell NT630 Elite OBD II code reader is sleekly designed to perfectly fit in your palm. It features a large LCD color screen for showing results and it is perfectly designed for easy use. The rubber cover or case prevents the device from impact and its compact design easy to keep.
The code reader covers more than 52 car manufacturers, which makes it to be suitable for car repair shops and car owners with more than one vehicle. It works on all 1996 and newer OBD2 and CAN vehicles. It performs all the OBDII functions and automatically recognizes the vehicle you’re testing. Moreover, the NT630 car scanner can be used to turn off malfunction indicator light, it playbacks live data PCM data stream, view live data readings and reads diagnostic trouble codes.
This is a very efficient code reader as you do not need an extra battery to use it but just connect the power charge directly from the OBD2 interface in your car. Above all, it is updated via PC.
- Extremely easy to use with well-arranged keypad and menu-driven operation
- Great vehicle coverage of more than 52 car manufacturers
- Performs full OBD II functions
- Doesn’t require an extra battery to function
- It automatically identifies the vehicle you’re diagnosing and turns off MIL
- It can be updated via PC
- Cannot be updated via MAC system
- Has compatibility issues with some car makes and models
Innova 3100 Diagnostic Tool
Featuring the battery backup memory, which offers off-car review analysis, the Innova 3100 scan tool is a great scanner for intermediate mechanics as well as car repair enthusiasts. The Innova 3100 is offered at a great price but features several outstanding features. To begin with, it is compatible with most 1996 and newer SUVs, cars, and light trucks – foreign or domestic. It is also lightweight and compact for easy handling and storage. It measures 12 by 8.5 by 2.5-inches. Innova 3100 has a weight of 1 pound.
As sleek and compact as it appears, the 3100 automotive scanner does a great job of quickly revealing the reason for the “check engine light”. You can also use it to read and erase ABS light trouble codes. One of the exceptional features of this gadget is that it has the ability to automatically refresh data after 30 seconds when connected to your car. Furthermore, it is easy to use as it has a large patented all-in-one screen and LED display, where results are shown. Regrettably, the screen is in black and white.
- Provides off-car review analysis with battery backup
- Easy to read results with the large patented screen and LED display
- Quickly shows the cause of the “check engine light”
- Compatible with a wide range of vehicles
- Automatically refreshes data after every 30 seconds when connected to the car
- Compact and lightweight gadget
- Free updates by connecting to the internet
- Great customer support
- No clear instructions on how to properly use the device
- Does not read all OBD2 vehicles as Innova stated by Innova
Autel Maxicom MK808 OBD2 Scanner
If you’re looking for the best mid-range automotive diagnostic scanner, the Autel Maxicom MK808 is a great pick. Featuring the cortex-A9 processor and Android 4.4.4 operating system, this is a powerful and reliable diagnostic scanner for professional mechanics. It can help you diagnose most 1996 US-based, 2000 EU-based and newer vehicles. It will help you perform the full systems diagnoses including reading and clearing codes and viewing live data to detect the health status of different car components. The Autel Maxicom MK808 is the best obd2 scanner for Honda.
The Maxicom MK808 automotive diagnostic scanner performs all OBD II functions and special functions. The special functions include emission system, brake system, fuel system, ABS, SRS, Transmission, wiper system, and engine. It is also simple to use with its large and clear 7-inch LCD screen, where all data and results are displayed. Additionally, it can be used by mechanics from different parts of the world without any challenge as it is multilingual.
With a one-year of free updates, this is a nice scanner to have in your car repair shop. Another great feature is its powerful battery that can run for more than 4 hours. Use it to check why the check engine light is on your Honda, Lexus, Ford, or Toyota car.
- Provides full system diagnoses
- Extensive vehicle coverage
- Intuitive user interface
- One-year free software update
- Quality and a wide range of functions
- Excellent battery runtime
- Easy to use with the large 7-inch LCD screen
- Special functions such as EPB, DPF, ABS, oil reset, SAS, etc.
- Multi-language support
- It is really costly to update the device after the 1-year warranty has expired
FOXWELL NT301 OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Code Reader
Sometimes, not every person can afford the high-end and sophisticated scanners on the market. Alternatively, you may be looking for a cheap scanner that will help to accurately read and erase error codes on your GM car. The Foxwell NT301 is a great choice and only comes at a fraction of the price of high-end scanners. This affordable scanner can identify bad O2 sensor, turn off check engine light, and read enhanced data. Other functions include automatic VIN acquisition and decoding, live data reading, check emissions readiness status.
In addition, the NT301 scanner is compactly designed for easy handling and storage. It will accurately read and clear fault codes in your vehicle. Unlike many scan tools on the market, this one provides you with both visual and audio results for better comprehension. For it to work, it doesn’t need a battery as it is charged directly from the OBD 2 car scanner interface in your car. With such features at a great price, this is a great code reader for car owners or DIYers.
- Compact and sleek design
- Wide vehicle coverage
- No battery needed as its connected directly in your car
- Accurate and easy to use
- Large patented screen and well-arranged keypad for easy use
- Offers both audio and visual results
- A wide range of functions
- It supports generic, manufacturer-specific, and pending codes
- Lifetime free update
- One-year money back guarantee
- It cannot be updated on Macbook
- Not compatible with all car makes and models
Actron CP9690 Trilingual OBDI/OBDII Elite Autoscanner
The Actron CP9690 OBD 2 scanner is a great tool for a mechanic who repairs OBDI, OBDII, and CAN compatible vehicles. This trilingual scanner is sleekly built for easy use and it is offered at a very good price. As compact and sturdy as the Actron trilingual code reader is, it still features a large LCD color screen that displays error codes, code definitions, and data recorded by the scanner from your car.
Use this elite best obd2 scanner on your 1996 to 2013 Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and Nissan, OBDI and CAN 1994 to 1995 Chrysler, GM, Toyota, and Ford, and OBD I vehicles. This is on both foreign and domestic cars, light trucks, and SUVs. Apart from reading and erasing error codes, it can also be used to record, playback, and graph live engine data. With all these features and accurate performance, this is a great buy for any professional mechanic or DIY enthusiast.
- Great vehicle coverage
- Large LCD color screen for easy use
- Clearly labeled buttons for use by both beginners and experts
- Compact and beautiful design
- Has the ability to record, playback, and graph live engine data
- Compatible with OBD 2, OBD 1, and CAN vehicles
- Carry pouch for easy carrying and storage
- Has a compatibility issue. Confirm with the manufacturer before buying
- Not the best customer support from Actron
Autel Maxidas DS808 Automotive Diagnostic Tool
The Autel Maxidas DS808 is an upgraded version of the Autel Maxidas DS708. This is a wonderful tool for professional mechanics and technicians. Thanks to its wide range of features and outstanding vehicle coverage. It may be slightly on the high-end but it is worth every penny. On our list, this is the best scan tool for the money. The DS808 performs a wide range of functions such as oil reset service, EPB service, SAS calibration service, TPMS programming service, DPF regeneration service, ABS/SRS service, and much more. Apart from the normal functions, it also performs some specialized functions like cloud-based Maxifix, Smart AutoVin and Shop manager functions. It is the best best obd2 scanner for mechanics.
The Maxidas DS808 covers more than 80 US, European, and Asian vehicles from 1996 to 2017. It also features a fast quad-core processer in A9 and has a large 7-inch LCD color screen for displaying the results of different tests. With its intuitive device, this is an easy to use device and it is as well extremely convenient.
The diagnostic scanner can function for 4 hours without running out and has a 32 GB SSD for storage of data. When it comes to updating the scanner, the process is automatic. The only challenge is that the manufacturer only offers one-year of free updates.
- Fast and accurate
- Excellent vehicle coverage
- Multi-language menu
- Easy to use with its intuitive user interface
- Normal and specialized OBD2 functions
- Automatic software updating
- It is extremely costly to update the gadget after one-year of free updates
Launch X431 V+ Diagnostic OBD2 scanner
For professional mechanics and technicians who deal with different car makes and models, the Launch X431 diagnostic scanner can be a wonderful tool for them. The Launch X431 OBDII scan tool may be costly but it is worth every penny. This is because it is versatile and accurate. It performs a wide range of functions and it is fast and accurate. The X431 V+ automotive scan tool is compatible with more than 68 car brands and is the best obd2 scanner for heavy-duty trucks and cars.
Unlike most OBD II devices, you can utilize this canner even without updating it. But if you want to update it, you can do so automatically. And if you’re not an English speaking country, there is nothing to worry about as it is multilingual. You can switch the menu to French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, or polish. The unique feature of this device is that it comes with two heavy duty truck standard protocols which are J1708 and J1939.
- Easy to use due to its intuitive user interface
- Outstanding vehicle coverage of more than 68 car brands
- It is dust, drop, and shock-resistant
- Very convenient with the wireless connection
- Performs a wide range of functions
- Extremely powerful with Android 5.1 operating system
- One-year full manufacturer’s warranty
- Updating the device is expensive after one-year
- High initial price
OBDLINK MX Bluetooth Professional Grade OBDII Scan Tool
Wireless Scan tools are very easy to use and extremely portable. That’s why car enthusiasts and DIYers are falling in love with them. The OBDLINK MX Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool is one of the fastest Bluetooth scanners on the market. Besides this, the OBDLINK MX diagnostic scanner features some amazing features that make it be accurate, reliable and fascinating at the same time. It covers most 1996 and newer light trucks and cars.
Sharing and transferring of data is super easy with its wireless compatibility. The battery will last long as it features a batterysaver technology that allows you to leave the car scan tool plugged in without draining the battery. Moreover, it supports all the 5 OBD 2 protocols and is compatible with third-party apps like DashCommand and Torque. On top o that, the manufacturer offers a 3-year repair or replace manufacturer’s warranty. Use the scanner on your Android or Windows, but not on an Apple iOS gadget.
- Easy to install and use
- Accurate and really fast
- Reads and clears check engine light
- Maintains battery power with the BatterySaver technology
- Wide vehicle coverage
- Compatible with Android and Windows devices
- Easy to share data with its wireless function
- 3-year warranty
- It is not compatible with Apple iOS devices
- Not compatible with electric or hybrid cars
BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader
Want to clear your check engine light but don’t have much to spend on an expensive scanner? Get the BAFX products Bluetooth diagnostic code reader. Apart from clearing check engine light, the scan tool can be utilized for emissions testing, check your vehicle monitors, and much more. In addition, it functions on all vehicle models made from 1996 and newer. It doesn’t matter if they are hybrid, gas, diesel, old, or new.
Despite being sold at a very low price, the BAFX products Bluetooth automotive scanner really works. In addition, the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty. In order to use this device, you will need to utilize one of the third party apps such as DashCommand, Scan Master, Torque, Carista, etc. Some of the car brands that this device is compatible with include Nissan, Mercedes, Chevy, Toyota, GM, Lexus, Honda, BMW, and many more.
- Performs several functions
- Compatible with most 1996 and newer vehicles
- Compatible with Android and Windows devices
- Compact and portable
- Affordable price
- 2-year warranty
- It is not compatible with Apple iOS devices
- It performs limited functions as it cannot read ABS, Airbag, Oil change, or TPMS lights
If you want to buy a good quality scan tool, then you can consider that best obd2 scanner list.
Question: What is OBD and what is its importance?
Answer: OBD in full means “on-board diagnostics”. It is a computer-based system built into all light-duty cars and trucks made from the year 1996 and newer. The OBD monitors the performance of some of the key engine parts, with the inclusion of individual emission controls. The system gives the car owners an early warning of malfunctions by the check engine light coming on. Since the OBD gives owners an early warning, it protects the environment and at the same time helps them to repair minor issues to avoid costly repairs.
Question: What issues can OBD scan tools detect?
Answer: OBD2 scan tools vary from one brand and model to another. The diversity of the code coverage and the compatibility makes the OBD code readers be some of the most amazing tools. The OBDII code readers are supposed to cover all areas of a car such as the temperature, fuel, pressure, and other aspects of a car engine, while the more advanced scanners cover even more areas such as the test drive information, vehicle information aspects, the vehicle repair state reporting functions, etc.
Question: How does the OBD2 system function on your vehicle?
Answer: According to the automotive emission regulations set out in the Environment Protection Act, the OBDII is a standard gadget which is supposed to help motorists discover the different areas of fault on the car. Unlike the first OBD I, which was manufacturer specific, the OBDII is an electronic gadget which is universally acknowledged to function with almost all new car types and models.
The OBD2 system is enabled with different electronic and gas sensors in the form of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and as well as toxic sensors to be able to detect the levels of polluting emissions from the engine due to an error. This is when the check engine light comes on.
Question: I have a blinking light, what does this mean?
Answer: In case the check engine light is blinking, this could be an indication of a severe engine problem like a catalyst-damaging misfire may be taking place and should be taken care of quickly. But it is not good to generalize as it might be some other problem. Nevertheless, the problem will often lead to a noticeable effect on fuel economy and performance. Driving the car should be minimized as extended driving without rectifying the issue could possibly lead to damage of other car parts. Also, you should take the car for service checkup.
Almost every person is driving a car or he has at least one family member who is driving. Therefore people often face with problems such as the “Check Engine” light or SRS / ABS and etc. on the machine panel. There are times when something in our car is not working or it is not working as it should. To find out what kind of problem caused this situation we have to connect to the car so we need obd2 scanner. In most cases we use OBD2 scanner.
There are all kinds of OBD2 scanners. Starting from usually primitive and their price usually reaches 20 $, to professional which can help you to do almost anything.
One of our most liked obd2 scanners is OBD2 bluetooth scanner. It is relatively inexpensive. Obd2 scanners usually cost up to $ 100. These obd scanners are used in conjunction with your smart phone (Android or iOS) via Bluetooth connectivity. These obd2 scanners usually have their own programs, sometimes you need to buy them for an extra fee. All necessary information is available on our articles and reviews. They can do various automotive tests, watch real-date and virtually check all the electric car components, which makes this tool an excellent and very useful at this time.
You will not have to pay extra money if you want to find out what happened to your car. There will be no need to transport it to an authorized service and perform expensive diagnostics. Also, with your new OBD2 scanner you will be able to scan not only your car, thus making the tool even more useful.
On this page you can find the best rated OBD2 Scanner. As well as his profile and feedback. Things that we liked or disliked. As the market has to offer so many products we are glad to help you and our goal is to find the best price and performance ratio based on the OBD2 scanner. We share our experiences and we are looking forward to a good word from you!
Best OBD2 scanner list:
- This is a Professional Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by professionals and amateur
- Certified and licensed by Apple and Android devices
- BlueDriver OBD2 scanner comes with BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor who work exclusively with each other to ensure quality
- BlueDriver perfectly communicates with your smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphing of live data)
- Free vehicle-specific Repair Reports drawn from a database of over 4.3 million fixes verified by certified auto mechanics
- Clearly and easy to read screen
- Works on a various range of vehicles
- Newer and cheaper than older model INNOVA 3160
- Easy to read and clear check engine light
- Graph, read, and record live-data values
- Easy to use & free support
- 4.3 million verified fixes specific to the vehicle’s make, model, year and engine
- CodeConnect offers real fixes to the problem like the check engine light and fix it from the CodeConnect database
- AutoScanner Plus will show you on the screen which codes does it have on the CodeConnect details available
- This Actron’s AutoScanner Plus account of domestic ABS code coverage
- Records live engine data and it can display live real time data
- ABS code is capable to read and erase code for most of 1996 & newer vehicles
- Displays all 9 modes of global OBD II data, and displays enhanced code definitions
- Device is updatable via USB and has ability to print data to your computer
- OBDLink MX Bluetooth is a very functional OBDII scanning tool with all the most necessary features
- It works with all vehicles since 1996 (except electric or hybrid vehicles)
- Free Android or Windows PC application on your smartphone or tablet
- Read and clear check engine light – Check diagnostic codes yourself with all explanations
- OBDLink MX Bluetooth Supports all 5 OBD-II protocols, plus SW-CAN (GM) and MS-CAN (Ford)
- Professional tool for full service inspection
- Supports Wi-Fi with which the device can be kept up to date and print recorded data
- Contemporary OBDII functionalities-support ALL 5 OBDII protocols and ALL 10 test modes