With so many OBD2 diagnostic scanners on the market, finding the best tool for diagnosing your car(s) is crucial. Different scanners provide different functions. A code reader that is suitable for a DIYer, might not be good for professional mechanics.
Innova provides some of the best scanners on the market and the Innova 3160 series is one of the best. In this Innova 3160 review, we’re going to look at the Innova 3160 and Innova 3160g diagnostic scanners. The Innova 3160 is the first scanner in this series, while the Innova 3160g is one of the latest scanners in this series. Read this Innova 3160g review to know more about this popular model.
These two diagnostic scanners have similar features but still differ slightly.
Technical Features of the Innova 3160 (Latest Model)
|Display:||3.5″ LCD Screen|
|Check Engine Light:||Yes|
|English, French, and Spanish:||Yes|
|Oil / Battery Reset:||Yes|
|Batteries:||3 AA batteries required. (included)|
|Live Data Graphing:||Yes|
|Service Light Reset:||Yes|
|LED Lighted Connector:||Yes|
|Software Update:||Free Update|
|Price:||Check Today’s Price|
Why should you buy the Innova 3160 scan tool?
- Broad vehicle coverage – the Innova 3160 series covers a wide range of vehicles manufactured from 1996 and newer. This includes both domestic and foreign vehicles.
- Compact design – the scan tools in this series are compactly constructed and very easy to use and store.
- Intuitive user interface – all of the scanners in this series features a large screen with LED that makes the reading of codes to be easy. No more struggling even in dim or brightly lit areas.
- Efficiency – the scanners are very efficient in performance and provide accurate results.
- Warranty and support – all Innova scan tools come with a 1-year warranty and they have a great support team.
Innova 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool
Featuring a sleek and compact design, the Innova 3160 diagnostic scanner is an excellent tool for professional mechanics and technicians. It has easy to use hotkeys and a large all-in-one patented black and white screen. The screen displays all the information retrieved from your computer system as you perform different diagnoses. In addition, it has a multilingual menu with the default language being English. But you can change it to French or Spanish.
The Innova 3160 performs various functions such as displaying OBD2 freeze frame data, turns off check engine light, diagnoses ABS & SRS codes, offers SAE enhanced data, turns off ABS & SRS lights, and read check engine lights on all 1996 and newer vehicles. The device has extensive vehicle coverage as it is compatible with all 1996 and newer light trucks, cars, minivans, SUVs and light trucks – both domestic and foreign with Controller Area Network included.
At such a great price, you will be able to diagnose different cars and models such as GM, Toyota, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Dodge, etc. Furthermore, you don’t have to worry if you have one of the latest car models as you can still upgrade and update the device’s software via the internet. Just connect the USB cable to a PC and update the device. With a one-year warranty, you can be sure that this device will be worth buying and it will provide you with accurate results.
Check Today’s Price
- Compatible with a wide range of vehicles
- Sleek and compact design
- Performs a wide range of functions
- Provides SAE enhanced data
- Comes with a patented all-in-one screen display with LED
- It communicates will all the OBD2 protocols
- Battery or memory backup for off-car review analysis
- Internet updateable and upgradeable
- 1-year warranty
- Not compatible with all vehicles
- The instructions on the user manual are not very clear
Innova 3160g Code Reader
The Innova 3160g is an advanced scan tool suitable for professional use. It features a large 3.5-inch screen that displays data in both dim and bright conditions. The patented all-in-one screen is larger than that of the Innova 3160 scan tool model. In addition, it comes with clearly labeled hotkeys for easy use even by beginners. Its compact design makes handling it to be easy and it’s lighter. The multilingual menu gives different users different language options for their own benefit.
Whether you have a European, Asian or domestic OBD2 compatible vehicle manufactured from 1996 and newer, this OBD2 scan will help you to determine why the check engine light is on. It doesn’t matter if it’s a car, light truck, SUV, hybrid, or minivan. This makes it be a great tool for mechanics and car repair shop owners. You will be able to stream and record real-time data and reset oil light. Other functions include live data graphing, emission readiness, reset battery, charging system test, service light reset, and freeze frame data.
Innova 3160g Review(Video):
Generally, using the 3160g scan tool is fun and very easy. The bright LED screen provides clearly visible results and the LED lighted connector ensures that you locate where the OBD2 port is in your vehicle. If you want to update the device, you can do so by connecting the USB to PC and updating it via the internet. On purchase, the manufacturer provides a one-year limited warranty and you are free to contact the Innova support team and the ASE certified technicians.
- Clear large LED screen
- Compact and sleek design
- Broad vehicle coverage of all 1996 and newer vehicles
- Performs several functions
- It is internet updateable
- Communicates with all OBD2 protocols
- 1-year warranty
- It has compatibility issues. Confirm with the manufacturer before buying
- The instructions on the user manual are not very clear as they don’t clearly state what the different keys are for.
Are there are differences between the Innova 3160 & 3160g scan tools?
Even with many similar features, the Innova 3160 and Innova 3160g scanners have some differences. To start with, the Innova 3160 measures 7 by 3 by 10-inches, while the Innova 3160g measures 10.2 by 8.2 by 1.5-inches. So, the Innova 3160 is more compact than the Innova 3160g. When it comes to weight, the 3160 is heavier than the 3160g as the former weighs 2 pounds and the later weighs 1.35 pounds.
Price wise, the Innova 3160 code reader is slightly costlier than the Innova 3160g. Also, the Innova 3160 features a black and white screen while the Innova 3160g has a colored screen. The 3160g has a larger screen than the 3160 scanner.
Depending on your taste and preference, these two scan tools will offer you great performance and they are very reliable. Choose a scanner that meets your needs and budget.
Question: Is the Innova 3160 scanner compatible with my 2000 Dodge meon?
Answer: Yes, Innova 3160 is compatible with any vehicle make and model manufactured from the year 1996 and newer. This includes domestic and foreign car, light truck, SUV, or minivan. But before buying this canner, just get in touch with Innova support and find out if its compatible or not.
Question: Where is my OBDII port located?
Answer: This is very simple to identify. In most vehicles, it is normally located under the dash of the driver side.
Question: What is an ECU?
Answer: ECU in full stands for an engine control unit. It is sometimes referred to as an engine control module (ECM). This is a type of electronic control unit that controls a series of actuators on an internal combustion engine to make sure optimal engine performance. It performs this by reading values from a multitude of sensors within the engine bay, interpreting the information utilizing multidimensional performance maps and changing the engine actuators as required.
Innova 3160e New Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles Review
To start with,
Let us introduce you this new diagnostic scan tool INNOVA 3160e that is filled with numerous functions. It has a 2.8-Inch display that can clearly show twenty parts of information at the same time. Everything that is on this great screen can be seen clearly and it is very easy to read. The screen is not tricky at all, it is clear and bright. The colors make everything easier to understand and the graphing is explicit. It can also show codes that can be described in Spanish, English and French. Also it has the ability to let you view Live Data Stream. You can easily diagnose or clean ABS/SRS codes on new model Domestic, Asian, European and other popular vehicles. This scan tool can also register, graph, understand live-data values. Also, a freeze frame can demonstrate information about the terms of engine, fuel trim, coolant temperature and other things.
It is originally created in Taiwan, model 3160e, product size – 10 x 8 x 1.9 inches, it weighs 1.4 pounds. You need to use 3 AAA batteries, they are included.
This product has Audible beep which allows you to know when obd2 scanner successfully connected to your car. Built in detachable cable it will allow you to replace the damaged or old cable of new one.
Why you should buy it?
- Clearly and easy to read screen
- Works on a various range of vehicles
- Newer and cheaper than older model INNOVA 3160
- Easy to read and clear check engine light
- Will not work on all models (mainly older until 1996)
- Cheap carrying case
Product description indicates for free support 7 days per week which is very good. If you have any questions you have an opportunity ask in English or Spanish certified technicians. Also you will have free software and firmware updates, with included USB cable and any Internet-enabled device.
- OBD II Extension – if you need a longer OBD2 cable it could be useful
- Chrysler OBD1 Adapter – its good for older Chrysler owners
- Honda OBD1 Adapter – necessary tool for older Honda owners who cars has OBD1 connector
- Toyota OBD1 Adapter – good tool for older Toyota owners who cars has OBD1 connector
- Ford OBD1 Adapter – for older Ford cars which has OBD1 connector
- Innova Soft Pouch – great soft case for your INNOVA 3160e scanning tool. Its handy thing if you are going to carry it with you.
To sum up,
This diagnostic tool can easily connect to a computer, it can repair many various car models. It is worth all the money because you will not regret that you bought this device. It is one of the newest Innova products, this device is a better version of a Diagnostic Scan Tool INNOVA 3160. If you have car’s no start problem you can solve it using this scanner with Battery/Alternator test. People who bought INNOVA 3160e are satisfied with it’s clear color screen, good quality and ability to recognize problems. Moreover, it is undeniably easy to use. The price is very good because it has so many functions that other more expensive tools do not have. If you are tired of trying cheap OBD readers and you want something much better – this scanning tool is the best what you can buy. That is why it can be called the best diagnostic scan tool under $220!
INNOVA 3160 OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data
- Reads ABS and SRS codes on most 1996 and newer GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda vehicles
- Scans “Check Engine” light warnings on all 1996 and newer cars, light trucks, SUVs and minivans
- It allows you to watch SAE enhanced Live Data – graphs, views and records
- Shows OBD2 Freeze Frame Data & turns off check engine, SRS lights and ABS
- Unit can be USB (cable included) flash updated with a standard Windows® PC
- Included cable that allows you to update your device with a Windows PC
INNOVA 3160 is a professional tool with which will allow you to get not only basic functions such as live date and airbag diagnostics but also other key functions which can help to perform practically everything with your car. Also, it has the ability to delete the anti-lock brake and the SRS (airbag) fault codes on the latest and most popular vehicles. Screen shows DTCs and their definition in English, Spanish and French. It’s all-in-one screen, so it is easy to use Hot Keys and make optional Repair Solutions. With this device your work will be more productive and smooth.
Why you should buy it?
- It is small so it does not require a lot of space
- You do not need to have a smart phone and use it as a scanner. This tool has everything you might need in order to scan your vehicle.
- Excellent price-performance ratio
- INNOVA 3160 works with any car whether it’s light truck, SUV, minivan or hybrid car
- Emission tests can not match your country or state requirements so they can be inaccurate
This is a professional tool suitable for non-professionals. The simplicity of operations makes it easy and smooth to work on it. It is the perfect solution for everyone because INNOVA 3160 is designed to meet the needs of each user.